where to eat when you visit new york…
ok – i don’t know HOW many times i’ve been asked this question so i decided it was a very blogworthy post!
WHAT DO I DO WHEN I’M IN NEW YORK?!
i’ll start off with food and then follow up with shopping, culture, and nightlife =)
*and please note, this is all my PERSONAL fav’s AND i kept it mostly in manhattan, but feel free to comment and add your own recommendations as well!*
- la esquina – a rundown looking taqueria on a corner, but if you know the right people you can go downstairs to their “exclusive” restaurant/bar (let me know if you’re interested)
- calexico cart – voted best in food trucks nyc, located on broome st and broadway
COMFORT FOOD/AMERICAN FOOD
- sylvia’s – fried chicken, mac and cheese, up in harlem… can’t get any better than that!
- clinton st baking co – another comfort food joint, the BEST for brunch – seriously, try their whole menu
- acme – this is more cajun, kinda kitchy but still good, they have po-boys and stuff, i like it =)
- delicatessen – up scale comfort food, right in soho, won’t be surprised if you see a celeb or two
- yaffa – a quietly fun place with very healthy dishes – yumyumyum!
- katz’s – you can’t go to new york without going here
- junior’s – the infamous strawberry cheesecake for ditty – there’s also kosher food there
- doughnut plant – need i say more?
- 7A – late night eats at this cafe are essential
- epstein’s – every tuesday 2-for-1 meals! try their epstein burger with CHEDDAR cheese and a side of hot wing sauce
- hill country – bbq done right!
- schiller’s – a cute american style restaurant, perfect for brunch or dinner
- shake shack – if i need to explain, you’re not worthy
- joe’s shanghai – order the soup dumplings and crispy chicken, well worth the wait!
- shanghai asian cuisine – if joe’s line is too long, this is a good second
- ippudo – ramen – the best hand’s down, go early, the line gets LONG
- hiroko’s place – traditional home style japanese, serving noodle dishes and parfaits and more, very quaint, i love it there
- udon west – fast, small, you see them serve you right then and there, cheap too!
- sobaya – love the soba here, very healthy – try all their desserts
- minca – another awesome ramen spot, go early!
- cafe 81 – bar and restaurant if you’re wanting some drinks and good food, come here
- maharlika – only open on the weekends, this is a MUST
- purple yam – if you’re trekking out to brooklyn, this is more filipino fusion, but very much worth the travel
- ihawan – up in queens, bbq pork is off the hoooook
- krystal’s cafe – also in queens (owner of cafe 81), reminds me of home (as in south city/daly city lmao)
- an choi – upscale vietnamese food banh mi and everything, try their shaking beef – TO DIE FOR
- pho bang – cheap vietnamese grub, i’m talkin SUPER CHEAP
- banh mi saigon – the original banh mi sandwich place =)
- bon chon – even though its a chain, its actually really good. try their fried chicken
- shilla – great for groups the bbq is awesome there
- kunjp – very traditional, gotta get there early!
- room 18 – if you’re looking for a mix of good drinks and asian style tapas, this is the place for you
- barrio chino – omg, the best chinese/latin food mix – but get there early too!
- macao – chinese and portuguese mix – just click here
- cafe habana – another spot you shouldn’t miss out on if you’re in ny
- miss lily – jamaican inspired boutique restaurant, watch out, kinda spicy!
- negril – i love this jamaican restaurant, they also have a reggae lounge downstairs – the staff there is amazing
- bread – cute spot for good italian dishes, quaint for small groups
- carmine’s – this is like buca di beppo but 10x’s more delicious! i’m serious
- meatball shop – a new spot serving up all kinds of meatballs – you MUST try their ice cream cookies! homemade!
- lombardi’s – pizza – first joint ever (so they say)
- baked by melissa – mini cupcakes!
- meatball shop – homemade ice cream sandwiches
- serendipity’s – frozen hot chocolate and sundaes galooooreee
- dylan’s candy shop – more desserts and candy
- rice to riches – rice pudding dessert yum yum
- sugar – gelato and other pastries
- chinatown ice cream factory – an array of ice cream flavors